Trini Sweet Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trini Sweet Talk

Listen to de sweet talk of ah true Trini

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Advertisement
bet365
Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» PNM ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2025
$1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2023 11:16 am by Honeylu

» LOCAL GOVERNMENT CANDIDATES 2023
$1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 15, 2023 1:28 pm by Honeylu

» PEOPLE’S PARTNERSHIP GOVERNMENT MINISTERS
$1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project I_icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2023 3:55 pm by Honeylu

» Rowley: We will not waste time playing the blame game if elected
$1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24, 2023 11:45 am by Honeylu

» Samsung - Smart School Classrooms to Trinidad & Tobago
$1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2022 2:50 pm by Honeylu

» OPPOSITION LEADER PARTICIPATED IN DEMONSTRATIONS
$1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2021 9:48 pm by Honeylu

» T&T COVID-19 CASES AND DEATHS
$1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2021 10:00 pm by Honeylu

» PNM RESIGNATIONS AND FIRING
$1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2021 11:25 am by Honeylu

» PSC SCANDAL
$1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 4:37 pm by Honeylu

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Advertisement
bet365

$1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Honeylu
Honeylu

$1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project Empty
PostSubject: $1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project   $1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 9:59 am

THE COST of the Port-of-Spain waterfront project has more than doubled to $3.4 billion (US$551 million), with the cost overrun on the project, considered to be the jewel in the crown of the Patrick Manning administration, amounting to a massive $1.8 billion (US$286 million).

In August, 2005, when the French construction giant Bouygues Batiment signed the contract to design and build an office, hotel and conference centre on the Port-of-Spain waterfront, the price tag on the project was put at US$265 million ($1.6 billion).

Yesterday, Canadian-owned bank FirstCaribbean issued a release saying that it had completed the financing of the “prestigious” waterfront project with a US$375-million transaction ($2.3 billion).

The FirstCaribbean statement said the US$375 million financing was placed by the bank at a fixed interest rate of 6.09 per cent for 15.9 years on the US private placement market, using an "innovative structure.”

The bank said the current financing followed “earlier interim funding arranged and provided by FirstCaribbean in the amount of US$176 million—US$136 million in December, 2005, and US$40 million in June, 2006—for the project.”

The earlier US$176 million plus the current US$375 million mean that the project financing is estimated at US$551 million, substantially more than the US$265 million allocated in the original budget.

The FirstCaribbean statement said, however, the project was “currently within budget and deadline.”

During the last two years, there have been substantial increases in the cost of local construction labour, materials and equipment—mainly as a result of the enhanced pace of State construction.

The appreciation of the euro against the TT dollar is also believed to have contributed to the cost overrun.

When it signed the contract in August, 2005, Bouygues Batiment was part of a consortium comprising Home Construction Ltd, the CL Financial subsidiary and Hyatt Regency, the global hotel chain which was identified as the top-ranked of three groups last December.

The French contractor/developer will be represented in T&T by its unit Bouygues Batiment International.

The consortium is developing the 150,000-square-meter complex on behalf of a company called the Port-of-Spain Waterfront Development Ltd, which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Urban Development Corporation of T&T (Udecott).

The first part of the project is expected to be completed by October, this year, the second phase at the end of 2007, with completion expected by the end of 2008.

The two 26-storey towers at the waterfront project will house corporate offices and a 22-storey, five-star Hotel Hyatt Regency hotel with 428 rooms.

Other features of the project include:

A conference complex containing exhibition space
Pre-function rooms, translation booths and media facilities
Retail shopping facilities
Car park with a 1,200-vehicle capacity
According to the Barbados-based FirstCaribbean, the waterfront project "is one of the urban rehabilitation efforts" being made by the Government. The bank described the waterfront project as being of “strategic importance” to the Government’s development plans in the context of its Vision 2020 for the country.

“Upon completion, it is expected to position the T&T capital as a regional hub for finance, international relations and trade,” according to the bank.

Efforts to contact the bank's spokesman were unsuccessful up to yesterday evening.

A list of questions was e-mailed to Udecott spokesman Danielle Jones at 5.48 pm yesterday. Jones said she was unable to respond, because the officials qualified to provide a comment were not available.

http://legacy.guardian.co.tt/archives/2007-05-25/news11.html
Back to top Go down

$1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project
Page 1 of 1